What is blockchain and why should you care about it?
Nowadays, we all hear a lot about cryptocurrencies and blockchain. There are people questioning it and then there are many who believe in it. Regardless of your opinion, as finance professionals, we should understand it and be able to express/demonstrate our opinion/knowledge about it. Yet, do you truly understand what it is? Do you ask yourself what the hype is all about and why some Bulge Bracket Banks want to create Crypto-trading Desks?
The aim of the conference, which took place on February 13th 2018, was to teach students more about blockchain and cryptocurrencies through real world applications of the technology. Circle carefully explained the basics of what blockchain is and why it appeals to many, highlighting the difference between Bitcoin and Ethereum as an example of the many differences in the technology. With such a talked about and to some extend controversial topic there were many questions from the attendees, especially regarding security, third-party involvement, and application.
We hope that the conference provided the attendees with the foundation they need to partake in discussions on the subject. Questions that were answered and that you now can challenges others on were: What is blockchain? What are cryptocurrencies and what is the differences between them? What is an ICO? What is a token? What is the point of having a decentralized system at all? Which role does trust play in the center of the whole system?
- Short introduction of Circle
- Explanation of the Blockchain World based on different products :
- Circle Pay : Founded on blockchain à What’s the Blockchain?
- Circle Invest : Platform enabling you to invest in cryptocurrencies à What are cryptocurrencies? What are the different cryptocurrencies and what is the differences between them?
- Circle Trade: What is an ICO? What is a token? What is a decentralised app? What is the point of having a decentralised system at all? Which role does trust play in the centre of the whole system?
- Which options are there out for you? In general and at Circle (Ambassador Programs, Internships etc.)